You expect your volunteers to be the very best advocates for their clients. They expect you to teach them how. This manual contains exercises, case studies, and self-reflection questions to enhance application of the Seven Fundamentals which sets this manual apart from other Pregnancy Center manuals. This is a skill-based manual based on adult learning theory which is full of illustrations and clearly written. Volunteers across the country love this training!
This manual can also be used as a self-study program in conjunction with the CD Self Study Program using Power Point.
Filled with teaching outlines, visual aids, experiential learning exercises. The training is divided into 8 three-hour sessions. Each teaching session includes pages to be used for flipcharts, transparencies, handouts and practice exercises.
Extensive supplemental training information includes adult learning theory, crafting learning objectives, training methods, how to use visuals, role of the trainer, conducting successful role-plays, dozens of experiential learning activities, and a bibliography.
Equipped to Serve Volunteer Training manual translated into Spanish. Page for page content including all of the same illustrations.
Some of the recent changes and additions have not been made to the Spanish manual but they are mainly additions to the Appendix. The basic content and Seven Fundamentals are all the same in the Spanish version of the Volunteer Manual.
The Leader's Manual is not available in Spanish.
If you have the resources available to use Power Point, this presentation is a great replacement for overheads and a supplement to using the recommended flipcharts. Each section of the Volunteer Training Manual has it's own presentation and the program utilizes all the graphic images from the manual for a seamless visual reinforcement of the Equipped to Serve concepts and Fundamentals.
This computer-based training program walks your volunteers through the Equipped to Serve Volunteer Training manual on their own. The program includes video introductions and content reviews by co-author Cyndi Philkill and interactive exercises so trainees can practice the skills they are learning. The Self Study Training consists of 3 CDs. The first 2 CDs are the training program and the 3rd CD contains all the worksheets, checklists, instructions, and answer sheets both trainee and supervisor will need to complete the program.
Three role-plays have been captured on DVD to use in your training program.
Cyndi Philkill counsels women who are playing the roles of Tiana, Joanne and Gloria - three of the Case Studies found in the Equipped to Serve Volunteer Training material.
Two of the Role-plays (Gloria & Tiana) are followed by an in-depth discussion of the role-play with the observers of the role-play. The post role-play discussion evaluates the skills and choices of the "Listener" in light of the Seven Fundamentals the trainees have been taught.
Each role-play lasts about 30 to 40 minutes. Gloria and Tiana are followed by approximately 30 to 45 minutes of processing and evaluation discussion. The Joanne role-play does not have and discussion at the conclusion of the role-play
Understanding that each client is unique, the role-plays are not intended to show how a particular counseling session SHOULD be conducted. The DVDs are a great tool for helping your volunteers to see the Seven Fundamentals utilized in an actual listening situation and for trainers to have an opportunity to help trainees evaluate someone's use of the Seven Fundamentals and the choices made during a particular counseling session.
In an attempt to provide Centers with the materials they need to equip male volunteers for the ministry I have developed what I am calling the Male Training Supplement. It did not seem reasonable to create an entirely new manual for men. But what I did create were pages designed for men. When training a male volunteer you can take certain pages out of the existing volunteer manual and replace them with pages from the Male Training Supplement. The page numbers in the Male Training Supplement are exactly the same page numbers.
Here is what the Male Training Supplement is comprised of
- New Case Studies The Client section of the manual, can be replaced with Case Studies for men. What if Tiana, Sondra and Lisa brought their boyfriends with them to the Center? What would their stories look like? I created three Case Studies for those guys, Michael, Ricky and Patrick. The questions for reflection have been changed to reflect gender differences as well. The last page of this section is the "Review for Section Two" and the questions have been altered slightly to help male volunteers review what they have learned and apply that learning to male clients.
- RIGHT Communication Skills Section This whole section has been changed to speak to the male volunteer trainee. All of the language is geared toward men and all the practice exercises have been changed to things guys might say in the counseling room. All the listening skills from Reflective Listening through the reprise of the poem" Today We Talked" have been modified.
- Sexual History Survey for Men (Your Own Sexual History) has been changed to apply to men and their sexual history. Since the page numbers are the same the female page can be removed and the male sexual history inserted.
- The Negative Test What I have done is create Case Studies for the male counterparts of our three Female Case Studies, Gloria, Alicia and Joanne. The Male Case Studies tell the story from the perspective of Jim, Shaun, and Patrick, the boyfriends of our Female Case Studies. The questions for reflection have also been altered some to reflect the Male Case Studies and what is reasonable for a male counselor in the context of counseling at a Pregnancy Center. The Making Transitions section has also been altered to reflect male scenarios. There is also a new Role Play Observation Sheet and Review for Section Seven.
How I am selling this Male Training Supplement
In order to keep costs down for both of us, I have decided to sell electronic copies of this Male Training Supplement. This is how it works.
- By purchasing the product you get the license to print copies of the material whenever you need them The cost is $75.00 which is a one-time fee for your unlimited use of the materials within the context of your own training program at the Pregnancy Center (see details in the contract).
- The pages are in adobe PDF format and cannot/should not be altered in any way.